If you wish to create a home screen shortcut directly to a particular Gmail account, you’ll need the Unread Badge app.
Apart from bringing you directly to a specific Gmail account with only a single tap, the app also displays the unread message count on the shortcut. Now, you know how many unread mails without launching the Gmail app.
- On your phone, download the Unread Badge (for Gmail) from Google Play.
- On the home screen, pinch your 2 fingers together to change to edit mode.
- Tap Widgets.
- Find and tap the Unread Badget widget.
- If you have multiple Gmail accounts, select one, then hit Next.
- Select a label, then hit Next (Note: The free version only lets you select the Primary label)
- Select an icon.
- Enter an appropriate display name and tap Finish.
- Here’s how the shortcut looks like. Note: You can customize the look and feel of the shortcut in the app’s settings.
Note: The steps here were written for a Xiaomi device running MIUI V5. If you’re having a different version of MIUI, there’s a possibility that the steps and screenshots will be different.